Tuesday 23 September 2008

A Loving Command

Yesterday I was reading in the Gospel of Luke.
As I read through chapter 6, verse 30 stood out to me.
.
Give to everyone who asks you,
and if anyone takes what belongs to you,
do not demand it back.
,
I've read the Gospel of Luke before, I'm sure I've read this excact verse before.
Yet, the calling in it never actually struck me before yesterday:
Give to ALL who asks you.
That's quite radicallly, isn't it? To all, I mean everytime a beggar on the street ask you for money. Should you really give them all something? If someone ask for your help, and you have the possibility to help them, but don't really feel like it. Do you still have to help? And the second calling:
If anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back.
That's also quite radically. I mean, who wouldn't demand it back if someone took something that was ours? I'm sure I would. Until yesterday.
It's so easy just to read, and then forget that many of the verses in the Bible contains a calling for us.
A calling from our loving Prince and Creator.
A calling that we should in loving obedience respond to.
.
Give to everyone who asks you,
and if anyone takes what belongs to you,
do not demand it back.
.
I wish I could ignore it.
At least a little, cause this lies out of my comfort zone.
.
But I can't ignore it.
It's Jesus very words. It's His loving command, and my calling.
I can't ignore it. Can you?
.
.
Your sister in Christ,
Rizpah

2 comments:

Sydney Smith said...

Wow, I never thought of it that way! Thanks for the enlighting post and for you kind comments on my blog.




Sydney

Unknown said...

I greet you in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ. I've stumbled across your blogs and have read a few of your entries. I admit that I was drawn to your blogs because they were clearly about love for God, and they were by a Norwegian.

When I realized you're living in Ireland that also grabbed my interest. I like all things Celtic, even though I am a Norwegian American - really, a Norwegian-Dutch-American.

I'll pray that you find good Christian fellowship.

I am the pastor of a church in Washington, D. C. (a Christian Reformed Church) and quite a bit older than you; 40 years older to be exact.

The Lord bless you and keep you and smile upon you, more and more.